CROSS Services is seeking our next Executive Director to lead this diverse portfolio social service agency through a time of transformation and growth. Incorporated in 1977 as a collaborative community effort to provide food and clothing to low-income families, CROSS Services is a non-profit 501(c)(3) social services organization assisting local families and individuals in need, with an emphasis on ending food insecurity through access to healthy food while also providing several financial and children's programs. We serve Rogers, Maple Grove, Osseo, Corcoran, Dayton, and Champlin, and we also have special outreach programs in Albertville and St. Michael. CROSS Services is supported by community donations and volunteerism, and our organization is governed by a volunteer board of directors.
The Executive Director of CROSS Services is responsible for providing visionary leadership, strategic direction, and effective management to fulfill the organization’s mission and drive its impact in the community. This role involves overseeing all aspects of the agency’s operations, including program development, fundraising, financial management, and staff leadership.
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors, develop and execute a strategic plan in alignment with the organization’s mission and goals.
- Identify opportunities for growth and expansion of programs and services.
- Manage the organization’s budget and financial resources, ensuring fiscal responsibility and sustainability.
- Oversee grant applications and fundraising initiatives to secure necessary funding.
Program Development and Management
- Lead the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services.
- Ensure that programs are effectively meeting the needs of the community.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors, providing regular updates and working together to achieve the organization’s objectives.
- Assist in board development and recruitment efforts.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, partner organizations, government agencies, and the community.
- Serve as the organization’s spokesperson and advocate for its mission.
Staff Leadership and Development
- Supervise, mentor, and support staff members, fostering a positive and inclusive work environment.
- Promote professional development opportunities for staff.
Compliance and Reporting
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Prepare and submit regular reports to funders and the board.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as social work, organizational management, philanthropy, public administration, nonprofit management, or a related field or equivalent related experience. Master’s degree in business administration or social work – or equivalent experience – preferred.
- Proven track record (minimum of 5-7 years) of successful leadership and management of a non-profit social service agency, including understanding of governance, compliance, and operations crucial for success.
- Demonstrated metrics (financial and otherwise) driven to support organizational sustainability.
- In-depth working knowledge of social services and the needs of the community.
- Strong financial acumen and previous at-scale budget setting/management experience including having a proven track record of successfully running a profitable P&L, driving strong financial performance and growth. Proficiency in financial management, budgeting, fundraising, and resource allocation to ensure the agency’s sustainability.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, attract, inspire, empower, develop, coach, lead, and retain quality talent.
- Passion for the mission of the organization.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) accreditation preferred but not required.
- Previous social work experience preferred.
- Proven track record as a master networker, promoter, and relationship builder, quickly and effectively able to build positive, long-term sustainable relationships founded on trust and respect with a wide and diverse swath of stakeholders including but not limited to clients in need, civic/business/industry/financial leaders (incl bankers and auditors), current and prospective donors, suppliers, vendors, other non-profits, school systems, churches and religious organizations, and consultants. Proven ability to successfully influence without authority.
- Proven track record of creating a strong, empowered team culture characterized by compassionate and collaborative leadership and a commitment to driving initiative, delegation/accountability, continuous improvement, operational excellence, innovation, financial performance, recognition/appreciation, and client service reflective of the organization’s values and brand.
- Strategic Planning: Proven ability to create and execute strategic plans to achieve the agency’s goals and make a positive impact on the community.
- Communication Skills: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are necessary to interact with staff, the board, stakeholders, donors, and the community.
- Fundraising Experience: Knowledge of fundraising strategies and grant writing to secure necessary funds for programs and operations.
- Collaboration: Proven adeptness at building partnerships, collaborating with other organizations, and engaging with diverse stakeholders.
- Empathy and Compassion: A proven empathetic and compassionate approach to working with clients, staff, and the community being served.
- Cultural Competency: Proven sensitivity and understanding of cultural diversity to effectively serve a diverse population.
- Problem-Solving and Decision-Making Skills: Proven ability to identify challenges, develop creative solutions, confidently make high-quality decisions, and adapt to changing circumstances balancing collaboration and decisiveness.
- Advocacy and Networking: Capability to advocate for the agency’s mission, connect with policymakers, and build a strong network Adaptability: Flexibility to navigate the evolving landscape of social services and adjust strategies accordingly.
- Ethical Integrity: A commitment to ethical standards and transparency in all aspects of agency operations.